Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Daily Supplement

Since I am breastfeeding, I need all the vitamins and supplement for my body so my baby could get them too. The most important supplement for a breastfeeding mother is Calcium. Breastfeeding baby will get their calcium for the bones development from their mother and if the mother is lacking the vitamin, most probably the mother will suffer from Osteoporosis in later life.

Breastfeeding also affects a mother's bones. Studies have shown that women often lose 3 to 5 percent of their bone mass during breastfeeding, although they recover it rapidly after weaning. This bone loss may be caused by the growing baby's increased need for calcium, which is drawn from the mother's bones.


The amount of calcium the mother needs depends on the amount of breast milk produced and how long breastfeeding continues. Women also may lose bone mass during breastfeeding because they're producing less estrogen, which is the hormone that protects bones. The good news is that, like bone lost during pregnancy, bone lost during breastfeeding is usually recovered within 6 months after breastfeeding ends. [quoted from NIAMS]


These are all the supplement I am currently taking. Why I chose Blackmores? I have no idea. I think the content are just the same. Maybe I like the labellings kot :P

I read in the internet that taking Multivitamins and Vitamin C could increase the milk supply, but I'm not sure how true so kena cuba la kan?

2 comments:

Elin said...

hi ida...i pun still full bf my dotter untill now..da setahun...die tanak Formula milk (mcm2 FM da try..murah n mahal...haishh)...alhamdulillah susu masih ada...tp bdn i pun makin cekeding..and b4 ni i penah amik multivitamin SURBEX...coz bdn cam lemah semacam jer rasa...tp after take that supplement...mcm biasa jer, takde perubahan pun...nnt nk try blackmores plak lah...tq 4 d info.

::Ida:: said...

hi elin! my hariz dah nak masuk 1 yr old. i bf only when im at home. rest of the time bagi dier fm je.. i dah tak sempat nak pump.. huhuhu
but yeah.. the vitamins are really important esp calcium. mmg kena makan tiap2 hari. i pon somtimes dengar my shoulder or knee meletup.. huhuhu