Finally last week I managed to cook on my own the Steam Promfret. Luckily my mom dropped by our home the day before and I wrote me these recipe. It really is a piece of cake! I can't believe I was able to do it! (even baking a cake is harder) :P
This piece of paper is like a masterpiece. Never loose it! :P
It's kinda hard to find this particular fish here in Seberang Jaya. I don't know Pulau Pinang. So this fish was brought by my mom all the way from Alor Setar okeh :P
Anyway.. this is how to prepare this steam prom-fret my way (well, my mom's way) :P
- 1 medium size steam prom-fret (preferably bawal emas/white prom-fret)
- carrots, tomato, lemongrass (serai), celery, spring onion (daun bawang/sup) - for decorations
- 7 cloves of garlic (bawang putih)
- 1 inch of ginger (halia lebih kurang besar ibu jari )
- 1 tsb of black pepper (if you like it spicy, add more)
- pinch of salt & sugar
- tamarind (asam jawa) to remove the smell
- 1 tsbp of oyster sauce
- Clean fish of all innards and cut slits onto the body of the fish. spread asam jawa all over the fish.put aside
- crushed all items highlighted all together (i used the traditional lesung batu for this :P) .
- spread the crushed items all over and leave some inside the fish.
- put lemongrass, carrots, spring onion & tomato on the fish
- pour a bit of water into the container. Just a bit okay?. Say enough to cover half of the fish.
- leave it for approx.10 minutes (marinate)To cook :
- I used microwave to steam the fish. It's so much easier and so does my mom! :P
- for the steamer, I used one of this corningware to steam the fish. If you don't have this, do not fret. You can used any container that is microwavable ;)
- Set the microwave with medium-high. In my case, there's an setting button for steam fish. Says there medium-high for steaming and approx 10 minutes. (sekejap je kan?
make sure the container must be closed!
and voila!! I give you the steam prom-fret!!!
Okay, I'm not much of a recipe writing person :P
So if you find this a bit confusing, let me know :D